Its Brake Safety Week and We Can’t Stop… talking about brakes!
Brake Safety Week
Fast Forward Webinar Series – Infinit-I Workforce Solutions hosts a bi-weekly webinar series focused on delivering leadership skills to trucking companies in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic. Each webisode offers expert advice from industry leaders. Special guests include:
- Andrew McCullough, Bryan Dingler, Charles Whatley, Michelin North America
- Attorney Peyton Inge, Kershaw Anderson Law Firm, Trucking Defense
- Chris Turner, CVSA Director of Crash and Data Programs
- Major Chris Nordlow, CMV Enforcement TX HWY Patrol
- Dan Baker, Trucking Industry Consultant
- Bryce Allickson, Magnum Ltd Safety and Compliance Coordinator
- Larry Finley, White Arrow LLC Environmental Health & Safety Manager
- Jonathan Richardson, Martin Transport Director of Corporate Training
- Monica Navarro, Partner (HR Specialist) Estes, Thorne, and Carr
- Jeremy Reymer, President & CEO Driver Reach
- Mike McConnell, TSM Consulting, Trucking Consultant
- Paul Schmitz, Wayne Transports Director of Safety
- Marilyn Surber, Tenstreet – Transportation Advisor
Hit The Brakes! Webinar – August 20, 2020
This week’s webinar was dedicated to Brake Safety Week and we can’t stop… talking about brakes! CVSA utilizes this week to detect maintenance issues regarding brake systems in commercial vehicles and educate drivers on proper requirements. During inspections, enforcement officers will take a close look at the braking system of every tractor-trailer they inspect to ensure highway safety.
Any vehicles found in violation of operational regulations will be placed out of service until the violation is corrected. Last year, 13% of CMVs inspected were found to have some type of regulation severe enough to warrant the vehicle nonoperational. This could mean a portion of your fleet could face a shutdown if the braking systems are not up to standard.
CVSA provides these education videos to help trucking companies prepare for Brake Safety Week. Please contact CVSA or Infinit-I Workforce Solution if you would like further information. Click here for information videos: CVSA Brake Safety Week “Inspection Bitz”
Inspection Bitz include:
- External Brake Stroke Indicator – The US and Canada require pushrod stroke indicators. Make sure your indicators meet the regulation requirements.
- Air Leak – Is your audible air leak a violation, OOS condition, or just a minor inconvenience? Learn how to detect, identify, and document audible air leaks before you’re placed out of service.
- Caged Brake NAIC – Only to be applied after an air brake failure should not be used for normal operation. Arizona DPS explains operational requirements.
- Plastic Hoses – Air tube chafing out of service identification.
- Brake Adjusters – Identify whether your trailer has manual slack adjusters and whether they are in compliance.
Check out the schedule of upcoming webinars. Each participant will receive helpful tricks and best practices to not only survive but thrive throughout the rest of the pandemic and beyond. The schedule is listed below. Registration is always free.
September 10, 10:30 am CST
American Trucking Association – Industry Updates and International Road Check
September 17, 10:30 am CST
FMCSA Hours of Service – industry changes
October 1, 10:30 am CST
Dealing with Fog and Adverse Weather Conditions
October 15, 10:30 am CST
Intersection Awareness – Intersection Hazards for Drivers
October 29, 10:30 am CST
Reduce Critical Events that trigger reporting
Free Expert Safety Consultation
Future Infinit-I Workforce Solutions Clients: Click here for an expert safety consultation. In just 30 minutes, we can show you how to enhance your safety culture and create safer drivers.
Spotted Lanternfly: Operating Without a Permit Could Cost You $20,000
What Your Drivers Need to Know About CVSA’s Upcoming Brake Safety Week
Nuclear Verdicts Entice Fraudsters in New Trucking Exploitation Scheme
Top 5 Surprising Ways Lawyers Attack Trucking Companies – Know Your Risk